Current:Home > ContactPresident Joe Biden faces first lawsuit over new asylum crackdown at the border -Prime Capital Blueprint
President Joe Biden faces first lawsuit over new asylum crackdown at the border
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 19:21:58
WASHINGTON (AP) — A coalition of immigrant advocacy groups sued the Biden administration on Wednesday over President Joe Biden’s recent directive that effectively halts asylum claims at the southern border, saying it differs little from a similar move during the Trump administration that was blocked by the courts.
The lawsuit — filed by the American Civil Liberties Union and others on behalf of Las Americas Immigrant Advocacy Center and RAICES — is the first test of the legality of Biden’s sweeping crackdown on the border, which came after months of internal White House deliberations and is designed in part to deflect political attacks against the president on his handling of immigration.
“By enacting an asylum ban that is legally indistinguishable from the Trump ban we successfully blocked, we were left with no choice but to file this lawsuit,” said Lee Gelernt, an attorney for the ACLU.
The order Biden issued last week would limit asylum processing once encounters with migrants between ports of entry reach 2,500 per day. It went into effect immediately because the latest figures were far higher, at about 4,000 daily.
The restrictions would be in effect until two weeks after the daily encounter numbers are at or below 1,500 per day between ports of entry, under a seven-day average. But it’s far from clear when the numbers would dip that low; the last time was in July 2020 during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The order went into effect June 5, and Biden administration officials have said they expected record levels of deportations.
But advocates argue that suspending asylum for migrants who don’t arrive at a designated port of entry — which the Biden administration is trying to push migrants to do —- violates existing federal immigration law, among other concerns.
Biden invoked the same legal authority used by the Trump administration for its asylum ban, which comes under Section 212(f) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. That provision allows a president to limit entries for certain migrants if their entry is deemed “detrimental” to the national interest.
Biden has repeatedly criticized Trump’s immigration policies as he campaigns, and his administration argues that his directive is different because it includes several exemptions for humanitarian reasons. For example, victims of human trafficking, unaccompanied minors and those with severe medical emergencies would not be subject to the limits.
“We stand by the legality of what we have done,” Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas said on ABC’s “This Week” before the lawsuit was filed, saying he anticipated legal challenges. “We stand by the value proposition.”
Under Biden’s directive, migrants who arrive at the border but do not express a fear of returning to their home countries will be subject to immediate removal from the United States, within a matter of days or even hours. Those migrants could face punishments that could include a five-year bar from reentering the U.S. or even criminal prosecution.
Meanwhile, those who express fear or an intention to seek asylum will be screened by a U.S. asylum officer but at a higher standard than currently used. If they pass the screening, they can pursue more limited forms of humanitarian protection, including the U.N. Convention Against Torture, which prohibits returning people to a country where they’re likely to face torture.
veryGood! (47)
Related
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- When an eclipse hides the sun, what do animals do? Scientists plan to watch in April
- The Kardashians Season 5 Premiere Date Revealed With Teaser Trailer That's Out of This World
- Lilly Pulitzer 60% Off Deals: Your Guide To the Hidden $23 Finds No One Knows About
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- When an eclipse hides the sun, what do animals do? Scientists plan to watch in April
- Need help with a big medical bill? How a former surgeon general is fighting a $5,000 tab.
- Need help with a big medical bill? How a former surgeon general is fighting a $5,000 tab.
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Unpacking the Kate Middleton Conspiracy Theories Amid a Tangle of Royal News
Ranking
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Duchess of Sussex, others on SXSW panel discuss issues affecting women and mothers
- Spending bill would ease access to guns for some veterans declared mentally incapable
- 'Queer Eye' star Tan France says he didn't get Bobby Berk 'fired' amid alleged show drama
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- How to watch the Anthony Joshua-Francis Ngannou fight: Live stream, TV channel, fight card
- Zendaya's Bold Fashion Moment Almost Distracted Us From Her New Bob Haircut
- Alabama woman set for a plea hearing months after police say she faked her own kidnapping
Recommendation
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
Queer Eye's Tan France Responds to Accusations He Had Bobby Berk Fired From Show
Lead-tainted cinnamon has been recalled. Here’s what you should know
Lake Mead's water levels rose again in February, highest in 3 years. Will it last?
Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
‘Oh my God feeling.’ Trooper testifies about shooting man with knife, worrying about other officers
Teen Mom's Taylor Selfridge Reveals When Her Daughter Will Have Final Heart Surgery
Witnesses in Nigeria say hundreds of children kidnapped in second mass-abduction in less than a week